The Food Standards Agency lays down new rules following the new EU Food Information for Consumers Regulation 1169/2011 which came into force on 13 December 2014.
All food businesses (e.g. restaurants, takeaways, bakeries and care homes) must have competent person to advice customers on food allergies. The law requires consumers to be given correct information on food allergens hence it is important that staff receive appropriate training to competently provide adequate advice to protect consumers in accordance with their legal obligations. Guardian Angels Training can help with the launch of our new Food Allergy / Food Allergen training course.
It is no longer sufficient for such establishments to simply declare they are unaware whether a food contains potential allergens. Failure of food businesses to provide accurate information could result in enforcement action by the local authority environmental health department and charges of criminal proceedings taken in the courts. It is therefore imperative to ensure that your workforce is suitably trained in Food Allergens / Food Allergies to be able to offer this mandatory information.
Our Food Allergy training course includes:
1. Understand the effects of food allergens and food intolerances on the human body.
2. Understand the legal responsibilities and obligations of employers and employees to meet the current food safety and the labelling of allergenic foods legislation.
3. Know how to identify different types of common ingredients in meals which pose an allergy risk.
4. Know the information requirements for food labelling.
5. Know how to provide consumers with allergen information.
6. Understand the control measures to minimise the risk of allergens from supplier through to consumer.
Guardian Angels Training offers additional accreditation to our Food Allergy training course, therefore, upon completion delegates are awarded with the Level 3 Award in Food Allergen Competent Person (RQF (QCF)). This regulated qualification is designed to meet the new EU Food Information for Consumers Regulation 1169/2011. Our Food Allergy training course will provide the essential food allergy information to ensure your business remains compliant with the new legislation on Food Allergies.
There are also changes to existing legislation on labelling allergenic ingredients in pre-packed foods. For further information on Food Allergies then please take a look at the Youtube video or contact us.